Writing Assignments

Jump Start Your Photography

1. TRY TO LEARN A NEW TECHNIQUE

2.LOOK AT POPULAR PHOTOBLOGS AND GET INSPIRED

3.TAKE ON A PHOTO ASSIGNMENT OR CHALLENGE

4.TAKE ON A PHOTO-A-DAY PROJECT

5.READ AN (ART) MAGAZINE

6.SHOOT A SPORTING EVENT

7.REPRODUCE ART BY THE OLD MASTERS

8.TREAT YOURSELF TO “PHOTO INSPIRATION” COUPONS

9.SEE AN ART SHOW

10.USE A PROP IN AN INTERESTING WAY

8 Social Media Trends

1. Show your audience your reel brand personality with Instagram reels or tik tok.

They give you 15-30 seconds to share your brand. This can help my brand get to other people.

• Make new friends but keep the old: don’t leave long form video out.

Developing long quality videos. This can help people be interested in my brand.

• Stories capabilities are not only here to stay, they’re growing.

Stories allow you to show a more personal side. This can help show people what I do other than work on my brand so they can know more about me.

• Replace face to face time with screen to screen time.

Helps brands connect with their audience around the world. This can help my brand get out there to more people.

• Make ecommerce even easier: social media becoming a one stop shop.

You don’t have to exit social media app to make a purchase. This can help my brand by letting people get to my work easier.

• When it comes to content strategy, knowledge is power.

Utilizing a lot of videos and getting creative. This can help my brand by giving out videos of how to buy my product.

• Just because you can go text heavy on facebook doesn’t mean you should.

Captions are the type of content that will best serve them. This would help my brand by giving out a powerful message to my supporters.

Keep whats behind the brand and behind the screen at the forefront: people.

Pushing your brand by using social media trends. This can help my brand because the trend can help people discover my brand.

Broad Museum Collection

Alexander Calder - Le Rouge de Saché, 1954, hanging mobile - painted sheet metal and wire
I like how creative it looks and how it looks like it is lifting off the ground. The light really reflects the shadow of the object well. I think that it was very unique and not many look like this anymore. The quality of the image is outstanding. Overall the image is beautiful.

Indeed Job Hunting

A job I would be interested in would be Automotive photography. Being an automotive photographer is a career I would like because I have a interest in cars. Looking at cars that are unique and taking pictures of them is something I’ve done since I was 11 years old. This job works with local car dealerships and helps them improve and manage their online presence. They are a dealership vendor that visits dealerships, takes detailed photography of vehicles (new and used), and notes equipment that adds value to individual cars and capture HD Videos. They also generally assist in getting every available car a dealership has online, represented accurately and looking great so dealerships customers can easily find what they want.

Canon Lens Experience

The first article I really liked was Peter R. Miller’s. Peter Read Miller has been photographing athletes, events, and the sporting life for more than 35 years. As a staff photographer for Sports Illustrated for more than 30 years, he has shot more than 100 SI covers. He has covered 9 Olympic games, 36 Super Bowls, 14 NBA finals, as well as Stanley Cup finals, the World Series, the Kentucky Derby, the NCAA Basketball Final Four, and the World Cup soccer finals. His images have appeared in Time Magazine, LIFE Magazine, Playboy Magazine, Newsweek, and The New York Times. A Canon Explorer of Light, he teaches yearly sports photography workshops in Denver and Atlanta, and he is an active speaker at events such as Imaging USA and PhotoPlus. Peter Read Miller has the relaxed but assured air of someone who knows exactly what he’s doing, knows his place in the universe, and likes it there. He likes to get up close when he is shooting photos of these athletes. He inspired me because I really like to see the facial expressions of athletes when they are playing the game. I want to be a sports photographer and would love working with him.

The 2nd article that inspired me was Stephen Frink’s underwater photography. Shooting underwater can be exciting, but it’s also one of the most challenging types of photography. It’s an endeavor that includes not only extra gear and techniques to be learned and practiced, but it can be physically demanding as well. Stephen Frink is a renowned underwater photographer with more than thirty years of experience as a professional, shooting everything from sperm whales to Olympic swimmers. His images leap off the page and capture one’s imagination. I love how much detail he gets on the animals when he is shooting underwater. It is fascinating to see how they will react to him. I really like dolphins and love how Stephen Frink takes pictures of them. It inspires me because it sounds exciting being at the sea and chilling with some dolphins. It makes me realize how precise you have to be to be a underwater photographer and how much skill it takes.

Top 100 Most influential picture

The Terror of War | 100 Photographs | The Most Influential Images of All  Time
The Terror of War

I chose this photo because I think it has a lot of influence on me. This photo was taken in 1972 during the Vietnam War. It was taken when America was dropping Napalm. The photographer who took this photo was Nick Ut. He wondered why the young girl was running down the street with no clothes after the bombing. He realized the girl had Napalm on her body. He tried to help her by pouring water on her which seem to make things worse. They had tried to take her to a hospital but understood that the young girl would not survive this pain. They then transferred the young girl to an American Facility where her life was saved.

I believe this photo is a powerful photo because it really shows the horror that went on during the Vietnam War. I also think that it could help stop brutality against people so young at least. I feel like war is something kids shouldn’t have to worry about. Just taking a glance at this photo you can pick out all of the things that look so bad in this photo. In the background the sky is filled with dark black clouds from the Napalm. Everyone in the photo looks extremely stressed. I feel like the story behind it is so much deeper. It has so much detail and meaning to it that it truly stands out to me the most.

Why photography is important

When you take a photograph and share it with others, you’re showing a moment that was frozen through a picture. This moment can tell someone many things, from the environment to what people are doing. There’s a story behind every image. By looking at a picture, you can conclude many things about it. The reason you feel emotions isn’t because of how aesthetically pleasing an image is but the emotions that are expressed in the photo.

Through photography, you can meet a lot of people and build relationships you wouldn’t have had previously. With friends and family who don’t see you often, it helps them feel close when they see your images. It’s a great way to stay in touch with those who live far away. You can also create historic photos just from your house.

Silver list 2021

Come to Selfhood Joshua Rashaad McFadden

Joshua Rashaad Mcfadden’s photos really stand out to me. I love his Come to Selfhood series the most as it has a lot to do with BLM. It stood out to me because it was of black people who had turned into heroes. All of them have a written story from when they were grinding to that position they are in now. Due to what I’ve seen in his website his photos connect a lot to the Black Lives Matter movement. He is trying to create emotion through his work by adding different lighting and having a dark or light background. Also, on every photo he adds he has another picture on the side of the person telling their story which I found pleasurable. David Emitt Adams also had a really good list of photos. I like how he had pictures of locations with their location in a tintype photograph. I like how simple his website is to see his other photographs. I think he did a good job with the different styles and variety of photographs he has. Some were really up close and personal while others were far shots.

$10,000 B&H Photography Shopping Spree

1. Canon EOS R6 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) – $2,499.00: To take high quality pictures
  2. Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f/2 Aspherical Lens – $185.00: to zoom in and out and make my pictures better
  3. Canon LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1865mAh) – $67.00: Need it to make my battery last long
  4. Oben CT-2491 Carbon Fiber Tripod– $299.95: to take still pictures of landscaping
  5. Apple 13.3” MacBook Pro M1 Chip with Retina Display (Late 2020, Space Gray) – $1,699.00: To edit and view my pictures on the go
  6. Apple 27” iMac with Retina 5K Display (Mid 2020) – $2,499.00
  7. Tamrac Professional Series: Anvil Super 25 Backpack for DSLR & 600mm (Blk) – $199.99: to carry all my photography equipment
  8. DJI Mavic 2 Pro – $1,589.00 to view and take pictures and videos from high altitudes.

Read and Reflect

Photography is a easily accessible craft.  After buying a camera, it’s pretty easy to start your career. It’s a craft that people can enjoy whenever they like. There’s always something to take photos of or somebody wanted to be photographed.  Photography is always there for anyone when they need it. A photographer gets to utilize the latest technology in order to further his or her brand. You can become your own boss and be on your own schedule. Working as a free photographer allows you the freedom to control everything about your business. There are also so many tools widely and readily available to help you get there. The creative control is left entirely to the photographer.